A rare image of the building taken from the cover of an undated brochure for ‘The Castle Cinema, Joymount, Carrickfergus’
The building following the fire of 1962
This meeting house – which must have been quite striking – was opened for worship in 1837. A congregation founded out of the missionary strategy of local churches it flourished under the ministry of the Rev James Nixon Porter. Unfortunately the later years of the nineteenth century saw a period of decline. It eventually closed in 1918 and was later used as a cinema and by the local technical school. A fire in 1962 brought about its demolition.