First Presbyterian Church, Newtownards
Newtownards, the previous meeting-house in 1909
A congregation dating to the middle of the seventeenth century, they built a new meeting-house in 1724 which remained in use for two hundred years. In 1925 they started building a new church on Victoria Avenue which has been in use ever since.
Old Presbyterian Church of Larne and Kilwaughter
The Old Presbyterian Church of Larne and Kilwaughter stands at the ‘head of the town’ in Larne. Founded in 1625 the present building dates from 1828. A solid and impressive building, well-maintained and possessing some interesting modern stained glass.
Raloo Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church
The modern church hall
A plain and unpretentious rural building of 1838 the congregation added a matching church hall in 1995 that stands alongside the church with a view across the surrounding countryside.
Crumlin exterior in 1908
This interesting church dates from 1835 (although opened for worship in 1837) but is effectively a slightly smaller scale replica of Rosemary Street Church in Belfast built over fifty years previously. Very elegant interior and ‘wine-glass’ pulpit.
The Non-Subscribing meeting-house of 1845, now Faith Mission
Ballymena was built and opened by the new Remonstrant congregation in the town in 1845 and designed by the Belfast architect Thomas Jackson. Despite early promise the congregation didn’t flourish and was finally sold in 1926, later becoming a Faith Mission Church.
You can read about the history of the building here:
Moneyreagh viewed from the back across the graveyard, the Session House is on the right
Moneyreagh interior decorated for the harvest
A T-shaped meeting-house built in 1770 during the ministry of Rev James Makain. One of only a handful of churches of the Synod of Ulster in 1821 to open its pulpit to the Unitarian missionary John Smethurst.
The entrance to Ballyhemlin meeting-house
The interior decorated for harvest
It is hard to imagine a more remote spot than the location of Ballyhemlin in the middle of the Ards peninsula in county Down. Opened in 1834 it is a very plain, unadorned building which until not that long ago had no electricity.