Images of Irish Non-Subscribing Churches: 9. Dunmurry

Dunmurry April 2014

Dunmurry meeting-house

Dunmurry int

Dunmurry interior

By the time Dunmurry was built Presbyterians were giving elaborate decoration to their rectangular meeting houses. Opened in its present form in 1779 during the ministry of James Stouppe it is a ‘barn church’ that may have been designed by the Belfast architect Roger Mulholland. But already it can be seen how a well to do congregation required more than bare simplicity in its meeting-house. Perhaps most famous because if its association with the Rev Henry Montgomery.

A blue plaque was added to the meeting-house to commemorate Henry Montgomery in 2015:

https://velvethummingbee.wordpress.com/2015/12/18/blue-plaque-for-the-rev-henry-montgomery/

 

 

Advertisements