Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Churches: Then and Now. 10 Rosemary Street

Roemary Street 1823

First Presbyterian Church, Rosemary Street, Belfast, 1823

 

Rosemary Street 01 2006

First Presbyterian Church, Rosemary Street, Belfast, 2016

Advertisements

Images of Irish Non-Subscribing Churches: 30. Dublin

Dublin Christian Freeman 1866

From the ‘Christian Freeman’, 1866

Dublin window August 2012 03

Twentieth-century stained glass window (featuring Martin Luther) made at the An Túr Gloine (‘The Glass Tower’) studio

The seventeenth-century congregation that met on Wood Street later moved to Strand Street before building an ambitious gothic building designed by W.H. Lynn on St Stephens Green in 1863. Occupying a prime city centre location the site is also an awkward shape but is well fitted out with many fine features. With the 500th anniversary of the start of the Reformation celebrated in 2017 it is worth noting that Dublin Unitarian Church is the only church of any denomination in Ireland to have stained glass that depicts Martin Luther.

For more images from the ‘Christian Freeman’ see:

https://velvethummingbee.wordpress.com/2017/09/22/illustrations-of-unitarian-churches-in-the-christian-freeman/

 

 

 

Images of Irish Non-Subscribing Churches: 7. Carlingford

Carlingford 01 2009

The original Carlingford meeting-house, built in about 1700

Carlingford int 2009 01

The interior, as it appeared in 2009. Note the thickness of the wall around the door.

The location of the original Presbyterian meeting-house in Carlingford was lost for decades until it was tracked down by Professor Donall Mac Donaill within the last ten years. It is a very plain and simple building that hasn’t been used for worship since 1859 and has been used variously as a salt store, a place to house livestock and more recently served as a shop.